With Internet access and a printer, you can renew or replace your driver's license online -- if your state allows it. While requirements vary by state, as a general rule your license and health must both be in good standing. Also, to protect your identity, your state may impose security-related conditions for changing your license address online or may not allow it at all. In Texas, for example, you must have an encrypted browser and the Department of Public Safety must have your Social Security number on file.
Ability to Drive
Having a revoked, suspended, expired or restricted license will normally prevent you from ordering one online. In states such as Texas, you must pay off or dispose of outstanding traffic tickets to renew online. Depending on your state, you must renew or replace it in person if your vision has gotten worse or you have a physical or mental condition that might impair your ability to drive. States such as Nevada require you to renew in person every other time, regardless of your driving history.
Age requirements for replacing or renewing a license vary by state. For instance, in Texas, you must be between 19- and 78-years-old to order online. The District of Columbia and states such as California, Idaho, Iowa and Louisiana don't permit online renewals if you're 70 or older. If you live in Illinois, Indiana or Massachusetts, you can renew online if you're younger than 75-years-old. In New York, a driver under age 25 can replace online once. New York drivers 25 and older can get one replacement every 30 days.
- New York Department of Motor Vehicles: Replacement License or Permit
- Mississippi State Department of Public Safety: Duplicate Request Instruction
- Texas Department of Public Safety: Driver License Section: Driver License Renewal and Change of Address -- Online Services Eligibility
- California Department of Motor Vehicles: Driver's License Internet Renewal Frequently Asked Questions
- Georgia Department of Driver Services: Internet Services: Lost License Replacement
- New Hampshire Department of Safety: Division of Motor Vehicles: Driver Licensing -- Online Driver License Renewal
- aijohn784/iStock/Getty Images