How to Report a Marriage Fraud

it, true love, a scheme, a green card
••• Olena Kucherenko/iStock/Getty Images

Related Articles

While marriage doesn't always turn out to be "'til death we do part," it should never be '''til I get my green card." Marriage fraud occurs when a U.S. citizen marries an alien for the express purpose of obtaining permanent resident status, the so-called "green card." The U.S. citizen might receive money for marrying the foreign national -- which makes her complicit -- or perhaps she believes it's love, which makes it tragic.

Contact ICE

If you know or suspect a couple or individual is committing marriage fraud, contact U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement at 1-866-DHS-2-ICE, or 1-866-347-2423. If convicted, an individual perpetrating marriage fraud to evade immigration laws faces a fine of up to $250,000 and five years in prison. Both the citizen and the foreigner risk punishment if both are found guilty.