How to Report Violations of the Americans With Disabilities Act

By Legal Editor

People who suffer from mental or physical disabilities are faced with discrimination on a daily basis. The Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) was created to eliminate discrimination and barriers affecting the lives of disabled individuals. Reporting a violation of the ADA can be confusing if you are unfamiliar with the act. Follow these steps to report violations to the correct authorities.

Understand the American with Disabilities Act. Learn how to identify violations. Educate yourself on the different titles associated with the act and how they are designed to provide equal opportunity.

File a complaint with the U.S. Equal Employment Opportunity Commission (EEOC). Call the EEOC at (800) 669-4000.

Wait for a response. After reviewing the claim the EEOC should send you a "right to sue" letter.

Make a complaint to the Department of Justice. The Department of Justice covers violations of state or local governments and violations of public access.

Report violations by Public Transportation. File a complaint with the Federal Transit Authority.

Speak to a lawyer. Discuss the situation with a lawyer and determine if you want to sue for a violation of your civil rights.

Cite this Article A tool to create a citation to reference this article Cite this Article