How to Apply for Dual Citizenship in the Philippines

By Tina Amo - Updated June 01, 2017
Philippine passports

Prior to 2003, Commonwealth Act No. 63 listed the ways in which Filipinos may lose their citizenship. Among these was naturalization in a foreign country. On Sept. 17, 2003, Republic Act No. 9225 was passed. This new act restores citizenship to Filipinos who lost it by acquiring citizenship in other countries. RA No. 9225 also allows natural-born Filipinos to have dual citizenship.

Find Out If You Already Have Dual Citizenship

Find out about the Jus Joli principle. The Jus Joli principle, the right of soil, states that a child’s nationality is determined by his or her country of birth.

Learn about the Jus Sanguinis principle. The Jus Sanguinis principle, the right of blood, states that a child’s nationality is determined by that of his or her parent.

Find out if you need to apply for dual citizenship in the Philippines. The government of the Philippines automatically recognizes certain groups of people as dual citizens of the nation due to the Jus Joli and Jus Sanguinis principles. These include children born to Filipino parents in a foreign country that follows Jus Joli and children born to a Filipino parent and a parent from a country that follows Jus Sanguinis, and/or in a country following Jus Joli.

Apply for Dual Citizenship

Prove that you are a natural-born Filipino. If you are a former citizen, born in the Philippines, present a copy of your birth certificate, which has been certified by the National Statistics Office (NSO). If you were born abroad, present a copy of your birth certificate or a report of birth, certified by the Philippine Embassy or Consulate.

Prepare your Petition for Dual Citizenship and Issuance of Identification Certificate (IC) pursuant to RA 9225. Use the form titled "Citizen Retention and Re-Acquisition."

Attach three photographs to the form. These pictures should measure 2-by-2 inches and should show your front, left and right side views respectively.

Submit your application, pictures, birth certificate and a valid identification card to the Philippine Embassy or Consulate. Pay the processing fee.

Take your oath of allegiance before an officer of the Consulate. You will receive a copy of your notarized oath of allegiance as well as an Order of Approval signed by the Consulate General.

Wait to receive your Identification Certificate. The Bureau of Immigration in Manila will issue this document once it receives your application, oath, order of approval and supporting documents.

Visit the Bureau of Immigration, Philippines for more information on how to apply for dual citizenship.


If there is no record of your birth, you can use a Certificate of Non-Availability of Birth Record, which you can obtain from the NSO. You will also need to show supporting documents, such as a Philippine passport or baptismal certificate.

Ladies who wish to use their married names must submit their marriage certificate with their application.


Your citizenship can be revoked if there is evidence of fraud or misrepresentation.

Applying for naturalization in the Philippines implies that you are renouncing your former nationality.

About the Author

Tina Amo has been writing business-related content since 2006. Her articles appear on various well-known websites. Amo holds a Bachelor of Science in business administration with a concentration in information systems.

Cite this Article A tool to create a citation to reference this article Cite this Article