How to Change the Name on a Social Security Card After a Birth Certificate Was Changed

Prior to changing your name on your Social Security card, you must first file all the appropriate paperwork to change your name at the state level. Once your birth certificate reflects your new name, you may then contact the Social Security Administration and proceed with having it placed on your Social Security card.

Obtain a certified copy of your new birth certificate, a document identifying the reason for your name change and a document that establishes your identity, such as a valid driver’s license, state-issued identification card or U.S. passport.. Your new birth certificate must be certified by the issuing state and county. Preferably, your new birth certificate will show your old name and new name and establish why you changed your name. If your new birth certificate does not have all of this information, you should obtain a certified court order confirming your change of name.

Read More: How to Replace a Birth Certificate & Social Security Card

Complete Form SS-5. Complete the form using either blue or black ink. Be sure to complete the entire form; include the date in box 14 and sign the form in box 17.

Deliver your completed Form SS-5, certified copy of your new birth certificate and all other relevant documents to the local Social Security office or Social Security Card Center. You can find the closest office to you online at or by calling 1-800-772-1213.


  • State laws regarding how to change your name on a birth certificate vary. Consider using a local licensed attorney or third- party document provider to help you change the name on a birth certificate in your state.

Related Articles