How to Change Your Last Name Through Social Security

Related Articles

If your name has changed for any reason, it’s important to notify the Social Security Administration as soon as possible and request a new Social Security card that reflects your correct name. Incorrect information may delay your tax refund or cause your earnings to be incorrectly reflected on your Social Security earnings statement.

Gather all of the documents that you need to prove your identity and verify your name change. A marriage certificate, divorce decree, court order or Certificate of Naturalization is required to process a name change with the Social Security Administration. Documents that can be used to verify your citizenship and identity include a birth certificate or passport. You must have one current form of identification showing your new name as well as identification showing your previous name.

Download the application form for a new Social Security card from the Social Security Administration's website (see Resources).

Fill out the form completely, including your new name and previous name. If you are over 18, you may omit boxes eight and nine.

Take the completed form, along with your proof of identity and official name-change document, to your local Social Security office (see Resources). The employees there will file the documents with the Social Security Administration on your behalf and you will receive a new Social Security card reflecting your name change in the mail.


  • You must provide original or certified copies of your identity documents along with your application. Photocopies and notarized copies are not acceptable.


About the Author

Jacqui Lane has been writing professionally for print and the web since 2004. She got her start at a small publisher, where she wrote, edited, designed advertising and handled page layout for up to five magazines a month. She writes primarily about video games, technology and internet culture. Lane holds a Bachelor of Arts in online journalism from Marshall University.