How to Incorporate in Idaho

••• Pixland/Pixland/Getty Images

Related Articles

Incorporation refers to the act of forming a corporation, a type of business entity. In Idaho, forming a corporation is done by filling out and filing the Articles of Incorporation with the Idaho Secretary of State. Title 30 of the Idaho Code requires that the Articles of Incorporation contain some basic information including the name of the corporation, name of the incorporator/incorporators, mailing address of the corporation, the purpose of the corporation, the number of shares the corporation is authorized to issue and the name and address of the agent who will receive official correspondence for the corporation. Additional provisions may be added, as long as they comply with the Title 30 of the Idaho Code.

Step 1

Choose a name for your business. You business name must be distinguishable from any other registered Idaho business entity. Your name must contain either "Incorporated," "Corporation," "Company," "Limited," or an abbreviation of these terms. To determine if a name is available and to request the appropriate name registration or reservation form call the office of the secretary of state at 208-334-2301.

Step 2

Go to the Idaho Secretary of State website.

Step 3

Click "Business Entities" in the left pane of the website and click "Corporation Forms."

Step 4

Locate the appropriate Articles of Incorporation form -- domestic for-profit, domestic non-profit, or domestic professional service corporation -- and click "Printable" or "Fillable" next to the form.

Step 5

Fill out the form online and print the form if you clicked "Fillable," or print out the form and fill it out with a black ink pen if you clicked "Printable."

Step 6

Write a check for the fee amount listed on the last page of the form and send both the check and the form to Idaho Secretary of State, 450 N 4th Street, PO Box 83720, Boise, ID 87320-0080.


  • Online legal document preparation and filing services can help you prepare and file the articles of incorporation.
  • You can also call the Idaho Secretary of State office at 208-334-2301 and request the Articles of Incorporation form by mail, or visit the office at 450 North 4th Street -- State Library building at 4th and State Streets -- to register your business name and obtain your Articles of Incorporation form.


About the Author

Thomas King is a graduate of the University of Pittsburgh School of Law where he served as managing editor of the "Pittsburgh Journal of Environmental and Public Health Law." He currently lives in Aberdeen, Washington where he writes and practices law.

Photo Credits

  • Pixland/Pixland/Getty Images