How to End Guardianship of Minors in Oklahoma

In Oklahoma, the proceedings for appointing and terminating guardianship are outlined by the Oklahoma Guardianship and Conservatorship Act. This act provides for the required actions of parties and the court in matters related to guardianship of minors. Under Oklahoma law, guardianship of a minor terminates automatically if the minor marries or attains majority (turns 18 years of age). However, guardianship can be terminated earlier by court order.

Determine where venue is proper. According to the Oklahoma Guardianship and Conservatorship Act, venue is proper in the district court of the county where the minor or guardian resides, unless the court decides otherwise.

Draft a petition to terminate guardianship in which you request that the court legally terminate your duties as a guardian. State your reasons for requesting the termination. For instance, state that you are no longer capable of meeting the minor's needs and explain why you are unfit for guardianship. Indicate whether another guardian will petition for appointment.

Sign the petition and file it with the clerk of the court. Upon filing the pleading, a hearing will be assigned. Attend the hearing with the minor to formally present your petition to the judge. You and the minor may be questioned in order for the judge to determine whether termination of guardianship is in the best interests of the child. If the judge agrees to the termination, he will sign and issue an order terminating guardianship. Keep a copy for your records.


About the Author

Audrey Farley began writing professionally in 2007. She has been featured in various issues of "The Mountain Echo" and "The Messenger." Farley has a Bachelor of Arts in English from the University of Richmond and a Master of Arts in English literature from Virginia Commonwealth University. She teaches English composition at a community college.