How to Report False Allegations to the Police

••• Thinkstock Images/Comstock/Getty Images

Related Articles

People who file false allegations with the police, also known as a false police report, face jail time and hefty fines. In many states, filing a false report is a class I misdemeanor. If you know of someone who has filed a false police report, it is important that you come forward as soon as possible. Investigating false allegations not only costs police time, but also taxpayers' money.

Contact the police department where the report was filed. Ask to speak directly to the investigator in charge of the case. Explain the situation and possible motive for the false allegations. Offer to provide supporting evidence for your claims and give the investigator all your information for future reference.

Submit copies of any material evidence you may have supporting the claims that the allegations are false. Pictures, written statements or legal documents are all ideal evidence pertaining to cases such as these.

Read More: What Legal Action Can I Take Against Someone Making False Police Reports?

Contact any other agencies involved, such as the child welfare department or Social Security. These agencies become involved when false allegations concern a child or misuse of government funds. Inform these agencies that you are in contact with the police and working with them.

File a police report against the person making the false allegations. If the allegations are against you, you can take the person to court and ask for an arrest warrant to be issued against them. With your evidence, state prosecutors will decide whether to bring criminal charges against the person who has made the bogus claims.


About the Author

Sharin Griffin has been a freelance writer since 2009, specializing in health-related articles. She has worked in the health-care industry as a certified nursing assistant and medical technician. Griffin's medical expertise encompasses bariatrics and geriatric care, with an emphasis on general medicine. She is completing an associate degree in health-care administration from Axia University.

Photo Credits

  • Thinkstock Images/Comstock/Getty Images