How to Update an SS-4 Address

Employers must keep their information current with the IRS.
••• Thinkstock/Comstock/Getty Images

When you change any of the addresses you previously listed on IRS Form SS-4, "Application for Employer Identification Number," you must notify the IRS of the changes. Update the addresses if you get a new mailing address, open up a new business location, change a business location, or one of the owners or principals moves. There is no form for updating an address. You must instead write a letter detailing the changes.

Start a letter on company letterhead, if available. Provide your company's name, EIN and current address at the top of the letter.

State the name of your business's current owner or principal officer. Include this person's Social Security number or Individual Taxpayer Identification Number.

Read More: How do I Obtain a Federal Tax ID When Forming an LLC?

Provide the new address in the body of the letter. State whether the address is a new mailing address, the address of a new business location, or the new address of a business owner or principal.

Mail the letter to IRS, Stop 343G, Cincinnati, OH, 45999, if your business address is in Connecticut, Delaware, the District of Columbia, Illinois, Indiana, Kentucky, Maine, Maryland, Massachusetts, Michigan, New Hampshire, New Jersey, New York, North Carolina, Ohio, Pennsylvania, Rhode Island, South Carolina, Vermont, Virginia, West Virginia or Wisconsin. You also can fax the letter to (859) 669-5748.

Mail the letter to IRS, M/S 6273, Ogden, UT, 84201, if your business is in Alabama, Alaska, Arkansas, Arizona, California, Colorado, Florida, Georgia, Hawaii, Idaho, Iowa, Kansas, Louisiana, Minnesota, Mississippi, Missouri, Montana, Nebraska, Nevada, New Mexico, North Dakota, Oklahoma, Oregon, South Dakota, Tennessee, Texas, Utah, Washington, Wyoming or outside of the United States. You can fax the letter to (801) 620-7116.


  • You can use Form 8822, "Change of Address," instead of sending the letter if your are changing only the business's mailing address. You can download the form from the IRS website (see Resources).

Related Articles