How to Report a Bad Lawyer in Texas

••• Stockbyte/Stockbyte/Getty Images

Related Articles

Clients, members of the general public and judges who believe that a lawyer in Texas has engaged in professional misconduct may file a grievance with the State Bar of Texas, which will look into the matter and can reprimand the attorney, place the lawyer on probation, or in extreme situations, even disbar the lawyer (which prevents her from practicing law).

What Are Reasons to File a Complaint Against an Attorney?

Just because a client is dissatisfied with the outcome of a lawsuit is not a valid reason to file a complaint against an attorney. The State Bar of Texas cannot modify a court’s decision in a case. It may be appropriate, however, to file a Texas state bar complaint if that lawyer has kept settlement money due a client after a lawsuit has been resolved, or if the lawyer is not answering phone calls or has missed court deadlines.

Read More: How to Write a Complaint Letter About an Attorney

How to File a Grievance Against a Lawyer in Texas

To report a lawyer for misconduct, a person can fill out and submit a State Bar of Texas grievance form, which kicks off the disciplinary process. Submit the form online or by regular mail. Generally, a person has four years from the time the lawyer allegedly engaged in misconduct to submit a grievance to the State Bar of Texas.

For a lawyer to be professionally disciplined, though, he must have violated the Texas Disciplinary Rules of Professional Conduct. Once someone submits a grievance form, the Commission for Lawyer Discipline, a standing committee of the State Bar of Texas, will look into the matter. If it seems that an ethical rule was violated, the State Bar will provide the lawyer with an opportunity for a hearing before an evidentiary panel of the grievance committee or before a district court.

Lawyers found to have engaged in professional misconduct are subject to private or public reprimand, suspension from practice or disbarment.

How to Resolve More Minor Complaints

Problems with a lawyer in Texas that do not rise to the level of an ethical violation might be handled via the Client Attorney Assistance Program, or CAAP, which is also administered by the State Bar of Texas. For help via this program, call the Grievance Information Helpline at (800) 932-1900 or submit a request for assistance via email, fax or mail.


  • Clients and others may file a grievance with the State Bar of Texas if a Texas lawyer has engaged in unethical behavior.