How to Change Your Name in Boston

Obtain a copy of form CJP27. Visit your local probate court for the form or download and print it from Massachusetts Courts website.

Fill out the form, including your old name and new desired name. Include name changes for any children and your spouse. State the reason why you want to change your name. Sign and date the form.

File the form with your local probate court. Pay the appropriate filing fee. As of 2011, the fee is $150 plus a $15 filing fee.

Include your birth certificate with the application. Include a marriage license if your name has been changed since due to marriage.

Wait for the probate court to set a hearing for your name change. Appear before court when the date is set to make the change official.


About the Author

David Harris is a writer living in Portland, Ore. He currently is the editor-in-chief of the online magazine Spectrum Culture. He holds a Master of Fine Arts in creative writing from Sarah Lawrence College.