How to Write an Invitation Letter for Relatives for a B-2 Visa

••• Thomas Northcut/Stockbyte/Getty Images

Related Articles

A B-2 visitor-for-pleasure, non-immigrant visa allows foreign nationals to visit the United States for a temporary period, generally no longer than six months. Holders of B-2 visas may not work while in the U.S., and they must leave the U.S. on or before the visa's expiration date. If your relative is unable to prove he can support himself during his temporary stay in the U.S., you must provide evidence that you can support him. This proof takes the form of an Affidavit of Support, and supporting evidence.

Visit the United States Citizenship and Immigration Services website and familiarize yourself with your obligations as a sponsor for the relatives you will be supporting during their temporary stay in the U.S. You must complete a separate Affidavit of Support for each relative you will support.

Download Form I-134, Affidavit of Support, and related instructions from the USCIS website.

Gather together bank statements and other documents that detail your financial stability and ability to support your relatives, such as investments and stock certificates.

Write a simple and concise letter addressed to the USCIS. The letter should detail that you are willing to host and support your relative during his temporary visit. State the full name, date of birth and foreign address of your relative, and the start and end dates of his intended stay. Detail the additional evidence you are providing that indicates your financial ability to support him.

Staple together the completed Form I-134, your letter of support and your evidence of financial means. This should include bank statements and dates when the accounts were opened, share certificates, pay stubs and a statement from your employer indicating the date you started work and your salary.

Visit the USCIS office for your region and submit your documentation.


  • Do not make any false statements in your Affidavit of Support. Doing so will render you liable to prosecution and will seriously jeopardize your relatives' chances of being granted these visas and any future visas.


  • Check the USCIS website for the latest information and instructions, since these change frequently and may vary depending upon the country where your relatives live.



About the Author

Helen Harvey began her writing career in 1990 and has worked in journalism, writing, copy-editing and as a consultant. She has worked for world-class news sources including Reuters and the "Daily Express." She holds a Master of Arts in mass media communications from Cambridge University in the United Kingdom.

Photo Credits

  • Thomas Northcut/Stockbyte/Getty Images