New York State Form IT-201

If you're a full-time resident of New York state, you likely must file Form IT-201, Resident Income Tax Return. This tax return is similar to the federal 1040 tax form and can be found online on the New York State Department of Taxation and Finance's website. You can file your return by mail or online, popularly known as e-filing. You can even e-file free if your income is $58,000 or less.

Form IT-201 Is Required if You Fall Into One of Five Categories

You're required to file Form IT-201 if you fall into one of five categories. The first category is if you filed a federal tax return. The second category is if your federal adjusted gross income including New York additions, such as interest income from local and state bonds and obligations, is above a certain threshold. For example, if your AGI was more than $4,000 in 2013, you had to file a state tax return for the 2013 tax year on or before April 15, 2014. The third category is if you're subject to New York's minimum income tax. The fourth category is if you want a refund of any Yonkers, New York City or New York state income taxes withheld from your paycheck. The fifth and final category is if you plan to claim carryover or refundable credits, such as the child and dependent care credit. If you only lived in the state part of the year, you are not required to file Form IT-201; instead you file Form IT-203, Nonresident and Part-Year Resident Income Tax Return.


About the Author

Based on the West Coast, Mary Jane Freeman has been writing professionally since 1994, specializing in the topics of business and law. Freeman's work has appeared in a variety of publications, including LegalZoom, Essence, Reuters and Chicago Sun-Times. Freeman holds a Master of Science in public policy and management and Juris Doctor. Freeman is self-employed and works as a policy analyst and legal consultant.

Photo Credits

  • David Broberg/iStock/Getty Images