Passport Renewal Application Form
The U.S. Passport Renewal Government Application Form, also referred to as DS-82, must be filled out online or in person. This form is also available at many public libraries and local post offices. It should be signed and attached to the rest of the passport renewal requirements, then submitted accordingly based on the mode of submission chosen, whether directly renewing via the U.S. State Department, the U.S. Postal Office or through a third party company’s passport renewal or expediting service.
Most Recent U.S. Passport
You must submit your current passport, whether expired or not, as part of the primary requirements for passport renewal. However, if the said passport has been lost, stolen, mutilated, altered or damaged in any way, if your latest passport was issued before you were 16 years old or was issued beyond the last 15 years, or if you are unable to document your legal change of name, you must submit additional documents as proof of your identity and U.S. citizenship. In such case, you should apply in person and your application is not considered as renewal but as an application for a new passport. Additional documents to submit for new passport application include certified birth certificate, naturalization certificate, consular report of birth abroad or certificate of birth on file and other pertinent documents supporting the claim of U.S. citizenship.
You need two identical, color and professionally taken passport-size photos (2 inches by 2 inches) for the passport renewal. These photos must be taken within the past six months, and it should clearly show a front view of your full face, taken without hat or dark glasses and shot over a white background. The photos should also be printed on photo paper.
Prior to passing all documentary requirements, you must pay the passport renewal fees and any additional fee in relation to your request. You may incur additional expenses when requesting for an expedited passport and if you processed your application through a third-party company, which may also charge service fees. Generally, the fees can be paid via personal check (except temporary or starter checks), business check, money order or credit or debit card. The application fee is non-refundable, regardless of issuance or non-issuance of passport. As of April 2011, the renewal of an adult passport book costs $110. An additional $60 is required for expedited service. Overnight delivery request of an expedited passport requires an additional $12.72. Service fees for passport agencies require the following estimated amounts: rush processing for three days to 1 and a half weeks for about $100, rush two-day processing for about $180 and same day/next day processing for about $200. Exact amounts vary per company.
- U.S. Department of State - Bureau of Consular Affairs: Renew Passport
- ItsEasy Passport & Visa Services: Renew US Passports Requirements (Adult)
- USA.gov: Passports
- U.S. Department of State - Bureau of Consular Affairs: Passport Fees
- USPS: Passport Application Information
- Visa HQ: U.S. Passport Requirements
- U.S. Department of State - Bureau of Consular Affairs: Passport Forms
- U.S. Department of State - Bureau of Consular Affairs: Passport Application: DS 11
- Where to Get a Passport: Passport Renewal Information
- Passports R Us: U.S. Passport Renewal Requirement Checklist
- U.S. Passport Now: Passport Renewal
- U.S. Immigration: Passport Renewal
- U.S. Passport Service Guide: US Passport Renewals
- U.S. Immigration Support: U.S. Passport Renewal and Replacement Guide
- Jupiterimages/Comstock/Getty Images