How to Stop Section 8 in My Neighborhood

By George Fountas
Section 8 housing can come in any number of forms, including apartments, condos, townhouses a polyplex or whole houses.

Dockside Housing image by Peter Jarvis from Fotolia.com

Section 8 is a federal voucher program designed to help low income families afford decent housing. You have your own reasons for wanting to prevent this from happening, but be warned: it is discriminatory, thus illegal, to prevent section 8 housing without a cause. There are resources available to you if there is a real reason you want to prevent or reverse a Section 8 housing in your neighborhood.

Check for restrictions or rules regarding your current living situation. If you live in a condo or are part of a homeowners association, for example, you may be subject to rules that pertain to the total number of rentals allowed.

Talk to the board that controls the bylaws associated with your neighborhood. You can change whether you want to allow renting in your neighborhood, but you cannot single out section 8 housing as this would be discrimination. This option may be difficult or take significantly more time if you already have people renting out the space.

Contact the housing authority in your city to find out the requirement and qualifications for Section 8 housing. You can report the Section 8 tenants to the housing authority if you notice they are not following the rules.

File a complaint with the housing authority, but only if you have a valid complaint.

If the Section 8 tenant are being a nuisance or otherwise creating an unpleasant atmosphere you can talk to a lawyer about pressing charges to get the problem solved.

About the Author

George Fountas started writing professionally in 2010. He holds certifications as an ISO 9001 trainer and internal auditor. He earned a Bachelor of Arts in biology from the University of Northern Iowa and he is currently working toward a Master of Science in agronomy from Iowa State University.

Cite this Article A tool to create a citation to reference this article Cite this Article