How to Get a Handyman License in Nevada

Tool belt stuffed with various tools
••• oldbunyip/iStock/GettyImages

Related Articles

There is no requirement for a handyman to have a license in Nevada. However, if you take on a job that requires a building permit or amounts to $1,000 or more, you need a contractor's license to operate, which in practice forces most handymen to have a contractor's license. If you don't have a contractor's license and are caught three or more times, you face fines of up to $10,000, up to four years in jail and a category E felony on your record.

Pick up an Application for a Contractor's License from an office of the Nevada State Contractors Board. You can also go to their website and apply online.

Read More: How to Get a General Contractor's License

Fill in the personal information questions of the form. Submit a minimum of four notarized reference certificates from previous employers or clients if you are self-employed. Also include a detailed resume explaining the work and responsibilities you had with each employer or client you use as a reference.

Provide the financial statement requested in the application. If you have background disclosures to report, such as a criminal record, include them in your application. Proofread the application, sign it and date it.

Send the application and the processing fee to the Nevada State Contractors Board. The office on 9670 Gateway Drive in Reno serves Northern Nevada while the office on 2310 Gateway Drive in Henderson serves Southern Nevada.

Attend and pass the examination required for your license type. In some cases the exam is waived if you can provide proof of qualifications, experience or you recently had a license in good standing. If you are required to pass an exam, you will receive an examination eligibility letter with instructions.

Pay your two-year license fee and provide the license bond to the Contractors Board. If your application is approved you will receive a letter with instructions on how to pay for the fee and how much license bond you need to provide.

Contract a worker's compensation insurance and provide proof of payment. Register with the Residential Recovery Fund and pay the assessed residential recovery fund fee. If you work for a company, your employer will pay the insurance and provide you with the documentation you need.


  • If you don't get a license and are caught working on a job that requires a building permit or costs more than $1,000 you could be fined $1,000 and spend up to six months in jail. If you are caught a second time, the fine is between $2,000 and $4,000 and up to a year in jail.


  • The type of contractor's license you need will depend on the work you do. Class B is for general building; class C-1 is for plumbing and heating contracting; C-2 is for electrical contracting; C-3 is for carpentry, maintenance and minor repairs. If you are a self-employed handyman you may only need a C-3 license to work.