How to Sue a Cell Phone Service Provider

••• chinese woman on cell phone image by Allen Penton from

Gather all documentation you have regarding your service contract and agreement. You should have these filed away from the time you signed a contract with your service provider, and if not, you should be able to request copies of the signed documents through your cellular provider.

Write down conversational notes if you were talking on the phone with anyone on their customer service lines. When talking, write down times of transfers, the name of each person you spoke with, and a quick summary of what they told you during your phone call.

Compile the names, addresses, and positions of various company workers. Before filing a lawsuit, you are better off attempting to contact these people to see if they can resolve the issue before resorting to a legal attempt to receive your money back. Again, make sure you write down notes and keep documentation of your phone calls and contact with these people.

Visit your local courthouse. Depending on the dollar amounts of the money owed to you, will more than likely qualify to file a small claims suit within your state. You would have to properly file the legal paperwork and have it served on the company.

Attend the court hearing. When you file your small claims suit, you will receive information as to when your hearing will be. Make sure to appear, and if the cell phone provider does not appear at your small claims hearing, you will receive an automatic default judgment against the company and can collect on your refund accordingly.



About the Author

Sara Haley has been writing professionally since 1998, writing articles for companies such as "Planned Parenthood." During her senior year in high school, she wrote for "The Papillion Times," "The Gretna Breeze," and other local newspapers. She also writes for her own sites, Omaha Moms and Happy Apping, andstudied in English and journalism at Metropolitan Community College.

Photo Credits

  • chinese woman on cell phone image by Allen Penton from