How to File a New Hampshire Declaration of Homestead

••• snowy hills image by Dumitrescu Ciprian from

Homestead exemption is automatically given to you in your primary residence when you move into a home in New Hampshire. The homestead exemption safeguards your home up to $100,000 against creditors that file judgments or liens against you. Because the exemption is automatically given to you by the state, there is no need to file paperwork applying for homestead. However, if you are building or remodeling the home that is slated to become your primary residence in the state and you are not currently living in the residence, you will need to file a declaration of homestead asking to have that home protected under the homestead exemption while it is not currently your primary residence.

Compose a letter requesting that the New Hampshire home in which you currently live is not your long-term primary residence. State that you are building and/or remodeling the home that will be your primary residence and would like to have it homesteaded rather than the home in which you are in currently.

Read More: Can I File Bankruptcy With a Felony?

Provide the location, description and address of the home you want protected under the homestead exemption law.

Include your name and contact information, and the name and contact information of any co-owners of the property you are requesting homestead exemption for. Also include the date you want the homestead exemption to begin on your soon-to-be primary residence.

Deliver your declaration of homestead to the tax assessor’s office in the county where your home is located. If your request is denied, you will be contacted by the tax assessor's office.

Related Articles