How to Find Out If You Have a Warrant for Free

••• AlexRaths/iStock/GettyImages

Related Articles

You can find out if you have a warrant by asking the police, checking public records or calling the local court.

A warrant is a legal document that allows law enforcement officials to arrest, search or seize individuals or property. Warrants can be issued for minor violations, such as unpaid tickets, or major infractions up to and including felony charges. You may have a warrant out for your arrest without even being aware of it. Knowing for sure if there is a warrant out against you can help you be proactive about getting it resolved.

Ask a police officer. Most law enforcement officials have access to active warrant information. If there is a search, seizure or arrest warrant out for you, an officer will be able to let you know. However, if you ask a police officer to look up warrant information and you have a warrant out for your arrest, you may be apprehended on the spot.

Check state public record online databases. Since warrants are considered public records, you will be able to search your name and determine if there is a warrant out for you.

Call the local court or sheriff's department and ask for the warrant department. Most warrant departments will be able to confirm an active warrant. If you're contacting a courthouse, a bailiff or clerk can assist you.

Contact a bail bonds service. Most bondsmen have access to warrant databases and will provide information free of charge.


  • Warrants do not expire so if there is one out for your arrest, it is best to get it taken care of.

    You may wish to contact an attorney before turning yourself in to satisfy an arrest warrant.


About the Author

Based in New York, Thi Tran has been a professional writer since 2005. Her articles have appeared in "Business Strategies" magazine, "Reason" magazine and a number of trade publications. She is also a copywriter as well as sales and marketing expert. She holds an Associate of Arts in communications from Monroe Community College.