How to Become a Representative Payee

Related Articles

A representative payee is an individual or organization that is appointed by the Social Security Administration. The primary duty of the representative payee is to receive Social Security benefits and supplementary income on behalf of an individual who has been deemed unfit to care for themselves. The representative payee is expected to spend the benefits on necessities for the beneficiary. The process for becoming a representative payee is relatively straightforward, though each application is individually reviewed in person.

Fill out Form SSA-11 (Request to Be Selected as a Payee). The form is approximately 10 pages long and requires information about the relationship between the representative payee and the beneficiary.

Submit form SSA-11 and documents proving your identity to your local social security office. These documents can include your social security number or, if the representative payee is an organization, your employer identification number.

Read More: How to Change a Social Security Disability Payee

Interview in person at your local social security office.