How to Get an I-551 Visa Stamp

By Shelby Winchell
You need a passport to get an I-551 visa stamp.

passport image by peter Hires Images from <a href='http://www.fotolia.com'>Fotolia.com</a>

The only place to get an I-551 visa stamp is in your passport. According to the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services, this stamp proves you are a legal U.S. resident and authorized to work. The stamp is temporary until you receive your I-551 card, or green card. As of July, 2010, the fee to file the paperwork to receive an I-551 visa stamp is $1,010. Once you mail the completed application and it's approved, you'll receive the I-551 stamp in your passport. The stamp is valid for one year after it's issued. You should receive your green card within a couple of months.

Complete the I-485 "Application to Register for Permanent Residence" or "Adjust Status" form. You can download the .pdf form from the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services' (USCIS) website at http://www.uscis.gov/USCIS/files/form/i-485.pdf.

Gather documents for the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services. You will need a valid passport, money order to cover application fees, marriage certificate, employment contract and any other family information.

Get two additional passport photos. You can get this done at a variety of retailers, including from your local post office. You will need to submit the photos with the I-485 application form.

Mail the I-485 application and all other documentation, including your passport, to the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services.


P.O. Box 805887

Chicago, IL 60680

About the Author

Shelby Winchell has worked as a journalist for more than seven years, covering the economy, political figures and celebrities for various websites. She has a bachelor's degree in broadcast journalism.

Cite this Article A tool to create a citation to reference this article Cite this Article