An Internal Revenue Service (IRS) 1099 Form is submitted to the IRS by an employer on behalf of an employee. A copy is supposed to be mailed to the employee, but if it got lost in the mail or the employee moved, there can be complications during the next tax cycle. There are several easy ways to get a copy of your 1099 form if you have not received a copy or have lost the copy sent to you by your employer.
Call or contact the employer that submitted the form to the IRS. Most employers have copies on file and will be able to send you a copy via the mail or fax.
Request a copy of your 1099 Form directly from the Internal Revenue Service, as long as you have filed your current taxes or have filed taxes in the past. Call the IRS at 800-829-1040 and ask for a copy of your "reported income information" or your "wage and income transcript," explaining that you want a copy of your 1099 Form.
Request an additional 1099 Form by mail or fax using IRS form 4506-T. Download a copy of Form 4506-T from irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/f4506t.pdf. Fill the form out, then either mail it to the address on the form, or fax it to the number on the form.
- The IRS says it should take about seven to 10 working days to process your paperwork from the time it receives your request.
- Copies of the 1099 Form from the IRS are free.
- Telephone Interview with IRS on July 19, 2010
- Internal Revenue Service: Form 4506-T
- tax defined image by Christopher Walker from Fotolia.com