How to File for Legal Guardianship of Children in MS

Mississippi courts may appoint a guardian if the birth parents are unable to raise the child.
••• child image by Vaida from

A child’s legal guardian has the same rights and responsibilities as the child’s birth parents. If the child’s parents die, become disabled, or are otherwise unfit to raise the child (due to mental health problems, abuse or neglect), a Mississippi court can appoint a guardian for the minor child. Children older than 14 may request a specific guardian. Third parties, such as the child’s grandparents, may also petition for guardianship. The court must determine that a guardian is in the best interests of the child.

Write a petition for guardianship. You can obtain forms at the courthouse. The petition should state the names of the child’s birth parents, the child’s name and address, the child’s birth date, your name and address, your relation to the child and facts indicating why you should be appointed guardian.

Send a copy of your petition to the child’s parents or current guardian. Send a copy to the court clerk in the Mississippi court located where the child lives; the clerk will file the petition.

Read More: Can People With Legal Guardianship Take Children Out of State?

Attend the hearing scheduled by the court to resolve the child custody matter. Once your petition is filed, the court will hear testimony about why you should be appointed as guardian. Interested parties, such as the current guardian or the child’s custodial parent, can argue for or against the appointment. The judge will make a determination on the best interests of the child and appoint you as guardian if it is in the child’s best interests.

Related Articles