Non-Repayable Government Grants

••• Cash image by Greg Carpenter from <a href=''></a>

Related Articles

Government agencies offer a wide variety of non-repayable grants. The federal government operates different grant programs, all featuring their own specific focus areas, guidelines, standards and deadlines. Government grants are generally awarded to nonprofit organizations, tribal organizations, public and private schools, colleges and universities, government agencies and sometimes even private individuals.

Federal Pell Grants

The U.S. Department of Education’s Federal Pell Grants offer financial assistance to low-income undergraduate college students. Grant funds can be used to pay for tuition, room and board, textbooks and other education-related expenses. Grant amounts vary, depending on the cost of attendance, student’s expected family contribution, part-time or full-time enrollment status and length of attendance. Students must be enrolled part- or full-time at one of the 5,400 colleges and universities that qualify for the Pell Grant program. Apply for a Pell Grant through the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) website. Pell Grants do not need to be repaid.

U.S. Department of Education 400 Maryland Avenue, SW Washington, D.C. 20202 800-433-3243

Stop Violence against Women Formula Grant Program

The U.S. Department of Justice’s Office of Violence Against Women provides non-repayable grants through the Stop Violence Against Women Formula Grant Program. According to the Department of Justice website, there were over 245,000 assaults against women in 2007 alone. The Office of Violence Against Women offers 19 grant programs to help mitigate this problem. Grants focus on increasing the ability of advocacy organizations, criminal justice systems and law enforcement to deter and respond to crimes involving violence against women. States are eligible to apply for funding. To qualify, programs must focus on the prevention and treatment of sexual assault, domestic violence and stalking.

U.S. Department of Justice Office of Violence Against Women 950 Pennsylvania Avenue, NW Washington, DC 20530 202-514-2000

Native Hawaiian and American Indian Non-profit Organization Child Care Grants

The Administration of Child and Family Assistance, part of the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services, offers non-repayable grants to Native Hawaiian and American Indian non-profit organizations to provide child care services. Grants range from $500 thousand to $1 million per year, for up to three years. The goal is to provide affordable, "child-focused, family-friendly" child care programs to under-served Native American and Native Hawaiian populations, according to the grant guidelines. Successful grant applications will promote learning, child development and school readiness; offer professional development opportunities to child-care providers; and involve parents and community members.

U.S. Department of Health and Human Services Administration of Child and Family Assistance 915 St. Elmo Avenue, Suite 101 Bethesda, MD 20814 866-796-1591



About the Author

Based in the Southwest, Linsay Evans writes about a range of topics, from parenting to gardening, nutrition to fitness, marketing to travel. Evans holds a Master of Library and Information Science and a Master of Arts in anthropology.

Photo Credits