How to Quick Deed a Home

••• series object on white: isolated - Signature image by Aleksandr Ugorenkov from

Related Articles

States typically require deeds to be filled out and filed to effectuate a transfer in title of land or a transfer in title of a home built on the land. There are different types of deeds used to make the transfer. For a "quick" transfer, the most common deed type is the quitclaim deed. Quitclaim deeds do not contain any protections or warranties; they simply transfer title. They should be used when the parties know each other and the land involved, such as in a divorce or during the administration of a person's estate.

Visit the land recorder's office in your county and ask for a blank quitclaim deed form. If you choose to write your own, title the document "Quitclaim Deed."

Fill in the owner's name on the "Grantor" line. Fill in the person receiving the title on the "Grantee" line. If writing this deed yourself, write "[Owner's name]", as Grantor, hereby forever quitclaims the property listed below to [new owner's name], as Grantee."

Write the amount of money paid for the transfer on the "consideration" or "amount" line. If drafting your own deed, write "This quitclaim deed was entered into for the sum of [transfer amount.]"

Describe the house and the property by writing the address and any identifying information. Write, for example, "three-bedroom ranch with white siding and red trim located at [address]." To help you complete this section, refer to the original title deed for the property.

Sign the deed in the presence of a notary public who will notarize the deed. Provide a copy of the deed to the grantee and file a copy of the deed with the clerk at your property records office in the county where the property is located.


About the Author

Based in Traverse City, Mich., George Lawrence has been writing professionally since 2009. His work primarily appears on various websites. An avid outdoorsman, Lawrence holds Bachelor of Arts degrees in both criminal justice and English from Michigan State University, as well as a Juris Doctor from the Thomas M. Cooley Law School, where he graduated with honors.

Photo Credits

  • series object on white: isolated - Signature image by Aleksandr Ugorenkov from