How to Subpoena a Police Report

Subpoena a police report in no time.
••• law courts image by Peter Helin from

Subpoenaing a police report can be obtained through a court order to assist with a certain case or completed through an attorney that is representing a client. The thing to remember about police reports is that they are public records and are free for the public to view because of the Freedom of Information Act. If a case document involves a minor, then it may be necessary to subpoena the record to see the information in its original form. The minor's personal information usually is omitted from public view to protect his or her identity.

Contact an attorney to assist with the case. Attorneys are licensed individuals who have sworn on an oath to represent a client to the best of their ability. These attorneys have the authority to access the records most of the public cannot see. They also know how to submit documents or request forms to see certain documents that are of importance to a case involving their clients.

Ask for assistance from the courts to authorize a subpoena for documents from the police department. If by chance the police department is not cooperating with the record, then getting a subpoena from the court to order them to hand over any and all information concerning a case will get the cooperation needed.

Read More: How to Look up Free Police Records

Ask the police department that is holding the record to provide copies of the report. All police records and reports are a matter of public record and because of the Freedom of Information Act, these records are open to the public to review, if needed. If copies are required of the record or other documents, then the person making the request may have to pay a small fee for the copies to be made. If the case involves a minor, then the minor's personal information will be omitted for their protection.

Related Articles