How to Change a Last Name to a Mother's Maiden Name

Change your last name back to your mother's maiden name after divorce if you want.
••• ring image by Jens Klingebiel from

Many times when women and men divorce, the woman no longer wants to keep her ex-husband's last name. When the woman decides to drop her husband's name, she may want to assume her mother's maiden name--the name her mother had before she was married. She can change her last name to a mother's maiden name by filing the appropriate documents.

Go to your nearest Social Security Administration office and bring along a certified copy of your divorce decree, your birth certificate (to prove your identity) and your completed SS-5 application (the application to change your name on your Social Security Card).

Take a certified copy of your divorce decree to your department of motor vehicles (DMV) office so that you can update your driver's license.

Read More: How to Change Your Last Name Back to Your Maiden Name After a Divorce

Update bank accounts, doctors, military branches, insurance companies and all other accounts of your name change by mailing or taking them certified copies of your divorce decree. Include a scanned copy of your driver's license so that they know what your new name is, or if you go there in person, simply show them your driver's license.


  • When you change your driver's license information, there is oftentimes a fee for the DMV to print a new driver's license card.


  • Make sure you change your Social Security card first because it is the most important one and should be changed before other documents.

Related Articles