How to Find Out the Amount for a Traffic Violation Ticket

By Andrea Griffith - Updated March 21, 2017
No parking notice.

fire hydrant image by Warren Rosenberg from

Many people will get at least one traffic ticket in their lifetime. The fines and points for a traffic violation depend on the offense and on the state in which you live. If you receive too many violations (too many points on your driving record), you might lose your driver's license. Of course, to stay out of further trouble, you must pay your fine. Once you've figured out how much you owe, you can send in a check or pay online.

Turn your ticket over. On most tickets, the common violations (running a stop sign, speeding, illegal parking, etc.) are listed on the back of the ticket.

Consult The Unofficial DMV Guide ( if your violation is not a ticket. The DMV Guide has information from each of the states.

Click on "Traffic Tickets" from the Tickets and Violations drop box at the top of the screen.

Click on the state (from the U.S. map) in which you received your violation.

Read up on the laws and traffic violation fines. You can even find contact number for district courts and attorneys.

Visit the district court's website in the city where you were ticketed. Click on "Traffic Fines" or "Schedule of Fines." Every traffic offense and fine will be listed there.

About the Author

Andrea Griffith has been writing professionally since 2005. Her work has been published by the "Western Herald," Detroit WDIV, USAToday and other print, broadcast and online publications. Although she writes about a wide range of topics, her areas of expertise include fashion, beauty, technology and education. She holds a Bachelor of Arts in journalism and English from Western Michigan University.

Cite this Article A tool to create a citation to reference this article Cite this Article