How to Fill Out a Florida Title

Miami highway
••• Flory/iStock/GettyImages

If you sell or give away a Florida-titled vehicle to a Florida resident, a new Florida title must be issued in the recipient's name, evidenced by a Certificate of Title. You will have to sign the old Certificate of Title over to the recipient, complete an application for a new one and provide certain forms of documentation before your title transfer will be complete. The Florida Department of Highway Safety and Motor Vehicles administers title transfers in Florida.

Create a Bill of Sale

The bill of sale should describe the vehicle (make, model, year, color and vehicle identification number), identify the parties to the transaction and list the sales price, if any. If the vehicle was sold rather than given away, sales tax should be added to the price. Remember to fill in the "Transfer of Title by Seller" on the title certificate, including an odometer reading taken in the recipient's presence. Have the recipient sign in the space provided.

Other Documentation

Obtain a document proving that the recipient has purchased auto liability insurance with coverage limits required by Florida law. An insurance card, a copy of the policy itself or a notarized affidavit signed by the recipient will all be sufficient. Also, obtain a copy of the recipient's government-issued photo ID. A foreign passport will also be acceptable. Lastly, fill out a Florida Application for Certificate of Title With/Without Registration, and present it to the recipient for signature. The recipient's signature need not be notarized.

Pay the Fee

Prepare a check or money order for the title transfer fee. This fee varies according to the place the vehicle was previously registered, whether a lien is being recorded, and whether expedited service is being requested. Generally, fees vary between $70-80.

Completing the Transaction

Send the bill of sale, the old Certificate of Title, copies of the recipient's proof of insurance and photo ID, the application for a new Certificate of Title and the title transfer fee to the county tax collector's office in the recipient's county of residence. A new Certificate of Title will be issued to the recipient within a few weeks – or earlier if expedited service is requested.


  • Never make an intentional false statement in a title application because you could be prosecuted for perjury.


  • If you give your car away, you will need to create an affidavit signed by you and the recipient.

Related Articles