How to Change the Name on a Birth Certificate in Michigan

By Alexis Dawes
Birth certificate name change.

paperwork image by Pix by Marti from

The State of Michigan Vital Records Office in Lansing, Michigan has been handling the issuance of birth certificates since 1867. They're also the department you'll contact if you need to change the name on a birth certificate in Michigan. The process for changing a birth certificate is fairly straightforward, as long as you submit the proper documentation along with your application.

Determine your eligibility. To change the name on birth certificate you must either be the actual person named on the birth certificate and at least 18 years old, a parent of the person named on the certificate, a legal guardian of the person named on the certificate, or a legal licensed representative of the person named on the certificate.

Collect and photocopy the necessary documentation. You'll need one of the following pieces of photo ID: an unexpired drivers license or identification card from any U.S. state, or one that has been expired for a year or less; a current U.S. passport; U.S. military ID; military dependent ID or veteran's ID.

If you don't have any of those items, the Michigan Vital Records Office will also accept one of the following pieces of photo ID along with the supporting document. This includes: your employment ID along with a pay stub or W-2; a school ID with a report card or enrollment letter; a Department of Corrections ID card along with your probation or discharge papers.

If your driver's license or state ID card has been expired for more than a year, you may submit it along with a motor vehicle registration card, a bridge card, a veteran's DD-214, inmate discharge or probation paperwork, MI-Health Card or an original copy of an Affidavit of Parentage.

If you're still incarcerated you can send a copy of your Department of Corrections ID card along with paperwork verifying your incarceration on facility letterhead.

Legal guardians should include a copy of court guardianship papers. Legal licensed guardians must provide documentation on official letterhead.

Print out and complete the Application to Correct or Change a Michigan Birth Record. This form is located on the Michigan Department of Community Health website.

Mail the Application, copies of supporting documents and payment to Vital Records Changes. As of April 2010, there's a $40 fee for birth certificate changes in Michigan. Each additional copy costs $12. They accept checks or money orders made out to the State of Michigan. You can mail everything to: Vital Records Changes P.O. Box 30721 Lansing MI 48909

About the Author

Alexis Dawes has been writing ebooks and web content since 1999. She is the author of ebooks such as "Desperate Buyers Only" and "The Good and Fast Content Creation Formula." She currently writes a variety of how-to articles for eHow.

Cite this Article A tool to create a citation to reference this article Cite this Article