How Do I Change My Name in Connecticut?

Related Articles

There are many instances in which someone may elect to change his name. In the U.S., different states have varying laws and regulations regarding official name changes. In Connecticut, the Connecticut Supreme Court has ruled that a resident of that state should be allowed to change his or her name except if it is for purposes of committing fraud or criminal activity. Someone who wants to change her name must complete an application process and submit all necessary paperwork to the local probate court. As of July 2012, the application has a fee of $150.

Step 1

Obtain the PC-901 application form from either your local Probate Court or online using the following link: and scrolling down to the appropriate form. Minors should obtain the PC-900 form.

Step 2

Fill out the form. You will need to include the name on your birth certificate, the name you want it changed to, your birthdate and place of birth, your social security number, your address, and the reason you want to change your name.

Step 3

Sign the form and submit it along with a check for $49 to your local probate courthouse by mailing it or delivering it in person. A judge will review your application and grant you the name change as long as he or she deems it is not for the purpose of facilitating illegal activity.


About the Author

James Wiley graduated from Providence College in 2009 as a double major in global studies and Spanish. Wiley's capstone thesis paper was published in the Providence College database. He has also competed in international script-writing competitions and coauthored a pilot which placed in the top 15 percent of international entries over the past year.