How to Become a Justice of the Peace in Connecticut

By Charlotte Anne Cox

A justice of the peace in Connecticut can perform marriages and civil unions, take depositions used in civil or probate court, and administer oaths. Republicans and Democrats in the state each get one-third of the appointments, with the remainder going to members of minor parties and those who are not politically affiliated. The Democratic and Republican parties have rules about appointments; everyone else applies to the town clerk.

Obtain a list of JPs in your town from the town clerk. In some cases, you may need to do this in person. You will also need the contact information of the chairperson in your political party.

Obtain a copy of Connecticut's Justice of the Peace Manual from the town clerk or online from the link in the Resources section.

Speak to a justice of the peace to learn more about the position and how to attain it. It is preferable to find a JP who shares your political affiliation.

Speak to the chairperson of your political party. The chairperson may ask for information about your involvement in politics, such as service and contributions. You may need to submit in writing your qualifications and why you want to become a JP.

About the Author

Charlotte Anne Cox is a freelance writer based in New Jersey. She has been a professional writer since 1994 and has written for numerous publications. She also works as a freelance editor for major publishing houses. She has a degree in English. She likes to write about issues related to crime and forensics.

Cite this Article A tool to create a citation to reference this article Cite this Article