How to Get a Gun License in Canada

••• a gun image by timur1970 from

Related Articles

Bill C-68, the Firearms Act, passed the Canadian government in 1995 and imposed strict restrictions on the ownership, sale and possession of firearms. To qualify for a firearms license, you must first know what kind of gun you wish to acquire. Canada divides firearms into two categories, restricted and non-restricted, where the first is handguns and the second is shotguns and rifles. The requirements for restricted firearms are more stringent than those for non-restricted firearms.

Sign up for the Canadian Firearms Safety Course through the International Tactical Training Academy of Canada. It takes ten hours, so be sure to schedule the course and the exam for a day when you have a lot of free time. If you feel that you can pass the exam without the course, you are welcome to try, but you should at least study the course manuals to be sure you're answering the test questions according to their standards.

Register for the exam through the International Tactical Training Academy of Canada. It costs $60 and your pass is valid for five years.

Apply to take the Canadian Restricted Firearms Exam if you wish to get the second, restricted certificate for handguns. This costs an additional $60 and is also valid for five years. You may take an additional six hours of training if you need more information to pass this exam.

Download Form CAFC-921 from the Royal Canadian Mounted Police website.

Answer each question about your work, residence and personal information fully and accurately.

Photocopy a piece of identification--driver's license, passport, government ID card, birth certificate, citizenship certificate or a permanent resident document--and include the copy with your completed Form CAFC-921.

Make copies of the passing results of the Firearms exams that apply to the license you wish to acquire. Include the copies with your Form CAFC-921.

Get a letter of good standing from your local police station if you are not a citizen of Canada or if you have only been a resident for five years. You can obtain this simply by going to your local police station and requesting one.

Get your marital partner--or any ex-spouse from the past two years--to also sign your application. While this isn't required, if your spouse or ex-spouse doesn't sign, the police have to inform him or her that you're applying for a firearms license.

Acquire references from two people who have known you for three years--and who are not your spouse. They will have to provide their contact information and sign your application.

Obtain a passport sized-photo and have a photo guarantor--who can be your spouse but must be someone who has known you for at least a year--sign that the photo is actually you.

Include a check for either $60 Canadian or $80 Canadian, depending on the type of license you're applying for.

Sign and date the application. Send the application, along with all supporting documentation to: Central Processing Site PO BOX 1200 Miramichi  NB    E1N 5Z3

Wait for the results of your application. Expect a possible telephone or in-person interview with a mounty in the meantime if the Royal Canadian Mounted Police have any questions.


About the Author

Melly Parker has been writing since 2007, focusing on health, business, technology and home improvement. She has also worked as a teacher and a bioassay laboratory technician. Parker now serves as a marketing specialist at one of the largest mobile app developers in the world. She holds a Master of Science in English.

Photo Credits