How to Transfer Minnesota Car Titles

••• car image by jodi mcgee from

Related Articles

If you purchased your car from a Minnesota dealer, the dealer will handle all of the title transfer paperwork for you. If you purchased from a private party, however, you should work with the seller to apply for transfer of the title into your name as soon as the purchase is completed. Unlike most states, Minnesota has no separate title transfer application form--you must print your application on the title certificate itself.

Ask the seller for his original title certificate and find the assignment section (it is printed on the certificate). List the sale price, sign it in the area reserved for the buyer's signature, and have the seller sign it in the presence of a Notary Public. If the car is owned by or being purchased by more than one person, all parties involved in the transaction must sign.

List the date the sale was completed, as well as the odometer reading (unless the car is at least 10 years old) at the appropriate place on the title certificate. The seller should also fill out the damage report section if the car is less than 6 years old. Verify the odometer reading before allowing the seller to sign the title certificate.

Obtain a copy of the vehicle's financing statement or security agreement to establish the release of any lien on the vehicle. Otherwise, you will need a lien release form signed by the financing lender.

Have the seller fill out the Recorded Owner(s) Record of Sale stub. This is a detachable portion of the seller's title certificate. It should be signed by the seller and mailed to Driver and Vehicle Services, 445 Minnesota St., Suite 168, St. Paul, Minnesota 55101.

Fill out the Application for Title section of the seller's title certificate. This section requires you to list your full name, street address and date of birth.

Prepare a check or money order for $30 made payable to Driver and Vehicle Services. Take the title certificate, the lien release document, and the title transfer fee to the Driver and Vehicle Services office location with jurisdiction over your residence (see Resources section under "Office Locations"). You may receive same-day service if you arrive before 4 p.m. on a business day.


  • If the car is being given away, the party donating the car must fill out a Motor Vehicle Sales Tax/Gift Affidavit and have it notarized.


  • Mail-in applications may be sent to Driver and Vehicle Services, 445 Minnesota Street, St. Paul, MN 55101-5160 or to a local office.


About the Author

David Carnes has been a full-time writer since 1998 and has published two full-length novels. He spends much of his time in various Asian countries and is fluent in Mandarin Chinese. He earned a Juris Doctorate from the University of Kentucky College of Law.

Photo Credits