How Do I Change My Name with the Immigration Office?

••• Photodisc/Photodisc/Getty Images

Related Articles

If you are living in the United States as a permanent resident in possession of a conditional permanent resident card or "green card," it is extremely important that the information on the card, name and address in particular, is current. If your name has changed due to marriage or divorce, you must apply for a replacement card with the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS).


There are several ways to become a conditional or permanent resident. Depending on your situation, you will complete either Form I-90, I-829 or I-751. Form I-751 is the form you must use if you achieved conditional residency through marriage to a permanent resident or a U.S. citizen. Form I-829 is used if your residency is due to a financial investment in a, and Form I-90 is used for everyone else.


The fee to change your name is $290 as of November 2009. An $80 biometric processing fee may be required, as your name has changed and your biometric data (e.g., picture, fingerprints and signature) may have to be retaken. If this is the case, upon receipt of your application, the USCIS will notify you in writing when you should go for your biometric appointment. It will be at a local Application Support Center.

Read More: Can You File for Citizenship if You Get Divorced?


Along with your application, you must send a certified copy of your marriage certificate or a copy of the original court order which recorded your name change. This would include a divorce or change in name for any other reason. Attach the copies of these documents to the appropriate form and forward them to:

USCIS P.O. Box 21262 Phoenix, Az 85036

If you are using USPS Express Mail or a courier, send the application to:

USCIS Attention: I-90 1820 Skyharbor, Circle S Floor1 Phoenix, AZ 85034

You must also submit your prior permanent resident card.