How to File a Medical Malpractice Suit on Your Own

a Medical Malpractice Suit

Jupiterimages/Goodshoot/Getty Images

Suffering from medical malpractice is a life-altering and oftentimes devastating experience. If you believe that you are the victim of medical malpractice, you may desire to sue the doctor, hospital or other health care provider who harmed you. A medical malpractice suit is an extremely complicated type of lawsuit. However, as is the case with all other types of civil cases, you do have the legal right to bring such a case on your own and without legal representation. Initially, you need to understand how to file and start a medical malpractice suit on your own.

Obtain a medical assessment from a reputable physician that delineates the injury or damage you suffered as a result of the alleged medical malpractice. The assessment needs to be in writing.

Draft a demand letter to the health care provider you believe is guilty of malpractice. The laws in many states actually require that you make a reasonable effort to attempt to settle a medical malpractice claim before filing a lawsuit.

Set out in the demand letter the general facts surrounding your allegation of malpractice.

Make a specific demand setting forth the dollar amount you will accept from the health care provider in order to avoid undertaking further legal action.

Obtain from the court clerk in the county in which you reside a standard petition form. If the health care provider elects not to enter into a settlement with you and does not respond affirmatively to your demand, the next step is filing suit.

Complete the petition form. You insert information about the parties to the case (you and the health care provider) and the basic facts giving rise to your claim. You also itemize the injuries and damages you suffered because of the malpractice. These injuries and damages include such items as medical bills, lost wages, future medical expenses, as well as pain and suffering.

File the petition with the court clerk. The filing starts the court proceedings.

Request that the court clerk direct the sheriff to serve the petition on the health care provider you are suing.

About the Author

Mike Broemmel began writing in 1982. He is an author/lecturer with two novels on the market internationally, "The Shadow Cast" and "The Miller Moth." Broemmel served on the staff of the White House Office of Media Relations. He holds a Bachelor of Arts in journalism and political science from Benedictine College and a Juris Doctorate from Washburn University. He also attended Brunel University, London.

Cite this Article A tool to create a citation to reference this article Cite this Article