How to Write a Request for a Court Date

Coordinate with other parties involved, if they exist. It's easier to effect a change when all parties involved agree. Not all situations involve other people: name changes, default judgments, probates and some adoptions are examples where only one person may be involved.

Contact the district clerk's office to confirm your cause number. Your cause number is the unique identification number that has been assigned to your case by the court.

Confirm the court coordinator's contact information. The court coordinator's offices are generally in the same office as the district court they serve.

Compose your request letter. Be sure to state the purpose of your court date. Mention if the matter is contested. Also include your cause number and a realistic estimate of the amount of time your matter will take. If you are changing a setting, be certain to inform the court why you are changing the hearing date. Many courts will only reschedule if they believe the requesting party has good cause to do so. You may request a date and time, but ultimately, it's up to the court.

Send your request to the court coordinator via certified mail, return receipt requested. It is required that you send a copy to the other side as well, if there is another side to your case. If you are in a contested case, you will need to show the court that you notified the opposing side of the setting.

Expect an answer within five to seven business days. Many courts will confirm the setting via telephone rather than in writing. If you do not hear back from the court in that time frame, you may call the coordinator to confirm receipt and to check on the status of the change.


  • Christopher D. Baran; Attorney; Graham, Texas

About the Author

Deanna Baran lives in Texas and is a librarian and former museum curator. Although she primarily writes for children and young adults, she regularly shares her interest in history, gardening, and animal husbandry through her articles.