How to Get a Suspended License Back

If you have lost your license due to a one-time mistake, you can usually apply to get your license back after you've completed the terms of your punishment. If you've lost your license due to a DUI or other incident, here is how to get a suspended license back.

For Licenses Suspended Due to a DUI/DWI

The length of the suspension is determined by the details of the DUI. If you are unsure of when you can apply to get your license back, check your sentencing records; it should be listed towards the bottom of the document. After you have completed any jail time and community service, and paid all of your fines, you can schedule a hearing. To do so, contact the clerk of the court to see when you can go in front of the judge.

At the hearing, you may be asked to pay a restoration fee to get your license back. This has to be paid in full before your driving privileges are restored.

For Licenses Suspended for Failure to Pay Child Support

If you are in arrears for child support, usually after skipping a few months or not paying in full for six months or more, the only way to restore your license is to pay the amount in full. After paying the full amount, you should automatically receive notification that your license has been restored. Otherwise, contact the clerk at the family courthouse to find out if you have to schedule a hearing and pay a filing fee. After completing both, your license will be restored again.

For Licenses Suspended Due to Failure to Pay a Traffic Fine

If your license was suspended for failing to pay a fine incurred from receiving a traffic citation, your license will be restored after paying the fine in full. You can usually pay the fine at the police station where you were issued the citation. In most cases, no additional fees or paperwork is necessary, and you will be allowed to drive again immediately.

Read More: How to Know if A License is Active or Suspended?

For Any Other Type of Suspension

If you have lost your license in conjunction with another crime, the terms of your suspension are usually explained in the conviction records. The typical procedure for all other suspensions is: wait until the suspension has completed, file a proof of financial responsibility (you can obtain this from the courthouse), schedule a hearing date if required and pay the restoration fee at the courthouse.

Related Articles