How to Get a Bonded Car Title

Make sure that you qualify for a bonded title. To qualify, you must be a resident of the state or own a car whose last title was given in the state. The car must be a complete vehicle and cannot have been abandoned, stolen or junked.

Prove your eligibility to the state. Fill out the following documents to your Vehicle Titles and Registration (VTR) office: Statement of Fact for Bonded Title and Statement of Physical Inspection. You should also bring any other papers that might prove helpful, such as a bill of sale, invoice, canceled check or copy of your driver's license.

Wait for the VTR office to get back to you. When it does, it will send you documentation that will inform you of the amount of money that the bonded title will cost you.

Within 1 year of receiving the documentation, take it to an auto insurance agency and purchase the bond.

Within 30 days of buying the bond, take all of the above documentation, as well as a Form VTR 130-U and a proof of insurance to your county tax office.



About the Author

Keren (Carrie) Perles is a freelance writer with professional experience in publishing since 2004. Perles has written, edited and developed curriculum for educational publishers. She writes online articles about various topics, mostly about education or parenting, and has been a mother, teacher and tutor for various ages. Perles holds a Bachelor of Arts in English communications from the University of Maryland, Baltimore County.