How to Get Assault Charges Expunged from Your Record

An assault charge on your record can affect many aspects of your life. You may find it difficult to get certain jobs. In some cases, it is possible to get an assault charge expunged from your record. If this is an option for you, this is almost always a good thing to attempt.

Complete all of the requirements set by the court for the assault conviction. This may include probation, jail time, community service, certain classes and fines. Most courts set time limits on completing these requirements. It is very important that you complete them within that time frame.

Stay out of trouble. In some places, if you get a subsequent charge on your record, you will be deemed ineligible to have the assault expunged. This is especially true if you are convicted of another violent crime.

Read More: How to Cancel Assault Charges

Get character statements. If you were on probation or parole because of your assault conviction, you should get a statement of good conduct from your probation or parole officer.

Contact an attorney. Because an assault is considered a violent charge, you will need an attorney to represent you. An attorney who specializes in criminal cases is the best option in most cases.

Pay the fees for expunging records in your area. Most of the time, you will have to pay these before you are given a court date, so the faster you pay them, the faster your record can be expunged.

Go to court. You must make a court appearance. Missing this court appearance will negatively affect your chance of ever having the assault charge expunged.

Have your attorney check your record. Ask her for a copy of it showing that the assault charge is removed.

Related Articles