Government Construction Grants for Sidewalks

••• Sidewalk Seating image by Pezography from

Related Articles

There are government grants available for the construction and renovation of sidewalks and other projects to promote public safety for citizens. Sidewalks are paved everywhere including rural and urban communities, residential and business areas and on city blocks and in parks. Most of these grants require matching funds and may be distributed on a formula basis, with the areas demonstrating the most need receiving more financial assistance.

Community Facilities Grant Program

The Rural Development agency, created under the U.S. Department of Agriculture (USDA) sponsors grants to construct, expand or renovate community facilities to promote public safety, health care and public services. The Community Facilities Grant program awards financial assistance to neighborhoods with 20,000 or fewer low-income residents. This grant is awarded on a graduated scale with the most financial aid dispersed to areas with the lowest income levels and population. Also the costs of the approved projects will be covered up to 75 percent by the grant. For more information, contact:

Housing and Community Facilities Programs National Office U.S. Department of Agriculture Room 5014, South Building, 14th Street and Independence Avenue, S.W., Washington, D.C. 20250.

Community Development Block Grant

Urban communities can receive financial assistance in the form of grants to construct and make improvements to sidewalks and other public facilities through the Community Development Block Grant. To be eligible, communities must be in urban areas with more than 50,000 residents and counties with over 200,000. Funds can be used for acquiring property, rehabilitating residential and non-residential structures, relocation and demolition, and construction of neighborhood centers. Grants cannot be used to construct buildings or housing for government use. For more information, contact:

U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development 451 7th Street S.W. Washington, DC 20410 202-708-1112

Demolition and Revitalization of Severely Distressed Public Housing

Communities that are affected by distressed public housing can apply for grants through the Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD). Revitalization grants can be used to demolish, construct and renovate public housing, structures and the surrounding areas. The money can also be used to help residents relocate from the affected neighborhood. Public Housing Agencies (PHA) and Indian Housing Authorities that are not restricted to engaging in the Section 8 Program only are eligible. These grants are not awarded on a formula basis but recipients must match at least 5 percent of the grant. For more information, contact:

Leigh vain Rij 451 7th Street, S.W., Room 4130 Washington, D.C. 20410 202-402-5788



Photo Credits

  • Sidewalk Seating image by Pezography from