How to File a Complaint on an Insurance Representative

Related Articles

If you feel you've been wronged by an insurance representative, you can and should file a complaint.

If you feel you've been wronged by an insurance representative, you can and should file a complaint. Reasons for filing a complaint against an agent include the agent misrepresenting himself (for example, saying he has a license to sell stocks when he doesn't), misrepresenting a product and selling a product that isn't appropriate for your financial situation. You also should file a complaint if the agent has acted unprofessionally or if you're suspicious of fraud. Insurance companies, and their agents, are heavily regulated to protect consumers from these activities.

Contact your state's department of insurance. Explain that you want to file a complaint, and ask where you should mail your complaint.

Write a letter detailing your complaint. Include specifics: the date or dates the incident occurred, what happened, and the name of the agent and insurance company he represents.

Gather any supporting materials you want to include with your complaint. You should include any correspondence you've received from the agent, including email. Make a copy of your letter and supporting materials.

Mail your complaint letter and supporting materials to the address given to you by your state department of insurance. Use certified mail with a return receipt. You should receive confirmation that your letter was received and your complaint is being investigated; if you don't within three to four weeks, contact the department of insurance.


  • Work with insurance representatives that have been recommended to you by friends or family to lessen your chances of needing to file a complaint.

    Read all materials provided to you by your insurance agent to ensure you're clear on your policy and its benefits. Ask questions until you're confident you understand.

    If your insurance representative is overly pushy or unprofessional, you have every right to ask for a different representative. You should also contact the insurance company or agency represented by the insurance representative to let it know about your experience.



About the Author

Melinda Hill Sineriz has been writing professionally for over 10 years. She worked as an editorial assistant for Forward Movement Publications in Cincinnati, Ohio. She wrote for several years for and edited and wrote a chapter for a book with Wooster Press. She graduated from Miami University in Ohio with a Bachelor of Arts in English. She has a master's degree in teaching.