How to Change Your Name in Idaho

Person filling application form, elevated view
••• Medioimages/Photodisc/Photodisc/Getty Images

A person 18 years of age or older may change their legal name by following the proper district court procedures. You must have a reason for your name change, such as taking another family name, that doesn't violate state law. You can't change your name in Idaho to avoid paying debts or if you've been convicted as a sex offender in any state. Once a court approves your name change request, you may use the court order to change your name on other official documents, such as your driver's license.

Find a newspaper of general circulation in the county where you're filing the name change. You must use a newspaper printed in that county to run a legal notice of your name change request after you file your name change petition.

Read More: How to Publish a Petition for a Name Change

Complete a Petition for Name Change, form NCA 1-1. List the judicial district and county you're filing in; your full name, birthplace, birth date and current address; requested new name; and reason for requesting a name change. You must list the names and addresses of the nearest living blood relatives of a deceased parent if those questions apply to you. For example, if your mother is deceased, you must list her nearest living blood relatives, such as her other children, siblings and parents. Write the name of the newspaper in which you're planning to run the notice on the line provided on the petition. Don't enter anything on the case number line.

Bring NCA 1-1 to a notary. Sign and date the petition. Make three copies. Keep a copy for yourself.

Complete parts of the Notice of Hearing, form NCA 1-2. Enter your current name and address on the top. Write in the judicial district number and county of the district court in the caption section, near the top and in the middle. Leave the case number blank. Complete the blank lines on the first paragraph of the form, but leave the second paragraph lines blank and don't sign. You won't get the hearing date and time until you file. Make two copies. Keep one copy for your records.

Prepare the required fee. You need cash or a money order. Fees vary by district court. Contact the Idaho court you're filing in and ask what the fee is for a name change petition.

Go to the court clerk's office of the district court you're filing in. Bring original and three copies of NCA 1-1 and original and two copies of NCA 2-1. Give the clerk the forms and the copies. Ask the clerk to set the name change hearing at least six weeks ahead. Take the notice copy the clerk gives you. If the clerk gives you the original notice back as well, as some Idaho courts do, keep it in a safe place. You'll need to bring it to your hearing.

Sign the Name Change Letter for Publication, form NC 1-3. Print your name and address neatly in the provided lines. Attach the notice copy behind the NC 1-3. Mail the letter with the attached notice to the newspaper. The newspaper will send you an Affidavit of Publication after the notice has run once a week for four weeks in a row.

File the affidavit in the court. Return the original notice if it was returned to you when you filed.

Complete parts of the Order for Name Change, form NCA 8-1. Fill out the top sections, as you did on the notice, and blank lines in the paragraph on the form. Don't date or sign the order. Make as many copies as needed. You need one copy for each agency you need to record your name change with, such as the Division of Motor Vehicles, Idaho Bureau of Vital Records and Health Statistics, and the Social Security Administration.

Attend the hearing. Bring the original and copies of the Order for Name Change with you. Prepare to explain to the judge why you want to change your name; you may be asked.


  • You may get the name change forms you need from an online legal document provider or official website of the Idaho judicial system.

    You may complete a Motion and Affidavit for Fee Waiver, form FW 1-9, and Order Re: Fee Waiver, form FW 1-10, if you have limited income and can't afford the filing fee. Bring the completed forms with you when you file the petition. If you're approved, you may be able to file without paying the fee.

Related Articles