How to Change a Name on a Louisiana Birth Certificate

••• Comstock/Comstock/Getty Images

Related Articles

A certified copy of your birth certificate serves as proof of your identity and is needed when completing such tasks as enrolling in school or obtaining a passport. If the name on your birth certificate, or that of your child, is misspelled due to a clerical error or changed due to marriage, divorce, adoption, court order or for any other relevant reason, the state of Louisiana allows you to modify your birth certificate to reflect the correct information.

Order a certified copy of your birth certificate from the Louisiana Department of Health and Hospitals. You can order your birth certificate online at Louisiana also allows consumers to purchase their birth certificates online at Alternatively, you can complete an application for a certified copy of your birth certificate and bring your photo identification and correct fees to a Vital Records walk-in service center, located throughout the state. For information regarding appropriate identification and to find a service center in your area, call Vital Records customer service at 504-593-5100.

Read More: How to Get a Copy of My Child's Birth Certificate

Download and print an Application to Amend Certificate of Birth from the Louisiana Department of Health and Hospitals website. You can also pick up a copy of the application in person by visiting the Department of Health and Hospitals headquarters at 628 N. 4th Street, Baton Rouge, LA 70802. The phone number is 225-342-9500.

Fill out the Application to Amend Certificate of Birth in blue or black ink. Indicate which items on the birth certificate are incorrect and how the corrected item should appear. If you are filling out the form on behalf of another individual and you are not that individual's parent or attorney, obtain a written notice from the individual granting you permission to assist him in preparing the document.

Gather and make photocopies of evidence proving that you or your child's name appears incorrectly on the birth certificate. If you are changing a child's birth certificate for a child under age 13, Louisiana requires either an Acknowledgment of Paternity, a name change judgment, a baptismal certificate, a hospital record, an Act of Legitimation, or a notarized affidavit signed by both parents.

If you are changing your own name or the name of a child over age 13, you must submit a name change judgment, a Social Security card application, a school record or a marriage license application with the Application to Amend Certificate of Birth.

Mail the completed Application, documentation, photocopied birth certificate and fee payment to the Louisiana Vital Records Registry, Attn: Document Alteration Section, P.O. Box 60630, New Orleans, LA 70160.


  • Attempting to amend a birth certificate using false information is against the law in Louisiana and may result in prosecution for criminal activity.


  • You can order copies of the corrected birth certificate at a reduced rate if you submit the request and payment along with your amendment request.

    If you cannot obtain a certified copy of you or your child's birth certificate, note this fact on the application and include an additional fee. Call 225-342-9500 for current fees.


About the Author

Ciele Edwards holds a Bachelor of Arts in English and has been a consumer advocate and credit specialist for more than 10 years. She currently works in the real-estate industry as a consumer credit and debt specialist. Edwards has experience working with collections, liens, judgments, bankruptcies, loans and credit law.

Photo Credits

  • Comstock/Comstock/Getty Images