How to Change the Name on a Title

By MiShaun Taylor

Changing the name on the title of your home can be a simple or complicated process depending on whose name to which the title needs to be changed. Are you changing your own name due to a legal name change or are you changing the name from your name to someone else's name? Depending on the situation, this change could be quite costly and could transfer the ownership of your house to someone else.

Decide whether you need to change the name. Changing your name on the title for your house can be an expensive and complicated process. If you are simply thinking about changing the name because you recently got married and your name changed, you can be rest assured that with a letter to your mortgage company and an extra copy kept in your possession of your marriage (or divorce) certificate, there will be no problems. Only proceed to change the name if there is a more complex situation at hand.

Evaluate your mortgage. If you have a mortgage, call your lender and discuss the proposed change. If the change of name involves adding or removing a name to your title, you must check to see if there is a clause in your mortgage that would bring the whole loan due upon your changing the ownership.

Do your research. If you are adding another party to your title, you will most likely need to refinance your mortgage. This is a chance for you to consider whether you want to refinance with the same mortgage company or with another company. Research various lenders and find out who can give you the best terms on the refinance. For a list of lenders, visit

Refinance your mortgage. Spend some time researching current mortgage rates. Sites such as BankRate provide daily interest rates applicable to mortgages. You may be able to get a better rate depending on the length of the mortgage or the type of mortgage you accept (interest only, fixed rate, adjustable rate). For information on the different types of mortgages, check Schedule a closing soon after negotiating the terms of your loan as interest rates can rise in the meantime. During the closing, you will be able to change the name on your title.

File a Quitclaim Deed. If there is no mortgage involved, simply fill out a quitclaim deed (samples can be found online at to show the change in ownership from the prior owner (the way the name formerly read on your title) to the new owner (the way you want the name or names to read on the title). Be sure to list everything else exactly the same as it was on the previous deed and file in the appropriate county recorder's office.

Consult an attorney. Making an error when changing your title can have disastrous results, so you should consider hiring an attorney to help you with this change. If you need help finding a lawyer, you can search for family law attorneys near you at

About the Author

With more than 15 years of professional writing experience, MiShaun Taylor specializes in legal- and wedding-related articles. Her work has appeared in "Pediatrics for Parents," "ISBA News" and Taylor holds a Bachelor of Arts in English from the University of Illinois and a Juris Doctorate from the Chicago-Kent College of Law.