How to Find out if My Divorce Is Final in Sacramento, California?

By Jason Kawamoto - Updated April 05, 2017

Stockbyte/Stockbyte/Getty Images

You're required to submit all the necessary paperwork to the court and serve your spouse with the documents before a divorce can be finalized in Sacramento, California. You'll receive a judgment, usually by mail, from the court when your divorce is complete. If you don't receive the judgment, your divorce is not final.

Will you divorce in the next 5 years?

Estimate your chance with our Divorce Calculator

What is your education?

Do you have children?

Age when married?

How many years married?

Your Five-Year Chance of Divorce:...

Failure to receive a judgment can mean that something hasn't been completed in your case. It's up to you to find out exactly what still needs to be done to make your divorce final.

California's Waiting Period

Wait for six months after your divorce is filed and you or your spouse have been served with a copy of the paperwork. In California, a married couple must wait for at least six months after completing the divorce paperwork and procedures before a divorce can be issued through a judgment of dissolution. This "cooling off" period cannot be shortened or waived.

Check Your Case File

Obtain your case file from the court. If you're not sure whether you've received a judgment and the six-month period has passed, your case file can tell you what's going on. Go to the William R. Ridgeway Family Relations Courthouse, Room 100, to ask for a copy of your file. Case file information isn't available over the phone. You'll have to provide the clerk with your case number to receive the file.

Look in the file for the Notice of Entry of Judgment. If it's not there, you're not divorced and you probably still have to submit or correct certain filed documents.

If the Notice of Entry of Judgment is in your case file, look for the effective date of termination. If the date has passed, you're divorced. If it's a future date, you'll have to wait for that day for your marriage to be dissolved.

If you don't have a Notice of Entry of Judgment and you can't figure out why, you might need the help of a lawyer.

About the Author

Jason Kawamoto has been writing professionally since 2009. He has written many articles for various websites. Kawamoto worked as a tax consultant at a major Certified Public Accountant firm and later left to become a revenue agent with the Internal Revenue Service. He holds a Bachelor of Science in accounting from Fresno State.

Cite this Article A tool to create a citation to reference this article Cite this Article