How to Beat a CPS Case in Texas Without a Lawyer

By Jeremy Ruch
Texas CPS removes children from their homes in cases of suspected abuse.

Jupiterimages/ Images

Texas' Child Protective Services is run through the state's Department of Family and Protective Services. CPS is responsible for protecting the state's children and placing them in foster care when they are abused. CPS removes children from homes when it is believed they are in immediate danger, have been the victim of sexual abuse, that controlled substances are being used by guardians in a way that is harmful to children, or that the residence is being used to manufacture methamphetamines. Parents whose children have been taken have the right to challenge DPS' conclusions with a staff worker or in court.

Compile testimony from people familiar with the child and your relationship. If the charges against you are drug-related, submit to a drug test and obtain records of the result.

Speak with the DPS caseworker responsible for your case. This will allow you to ascertain the specific charges against you and the reason your child was taken away. Present any testimony or evidence you have compiled. In some cases, this discussion will resolve the matter.

Request to file an Administrative Review of the Investigation Findings. This is an official challenge to the DPS conclusion that originally led to the DPS confiscating your child. Upon this request, a DPS officer will present you with a form to fill out that details personal information and the reason for your challenge.

Bring any relevant evidence you have compiled with you to the ensuing CPS hearing --- CPS official will contact you with information pertaining to the date --- and be prepared to give a coherent explanation of the reasons you are innocent of the charges presented against you.

About the Author

Based in New York City, Jeremy Ruch has been a writer since 2010. He has been published in the university newspaper, "The Chronicle," and currently writes how-to articles, specializing in subjects pertaining to politics and law. He was an editorial page editor for his high school paper. He attends Duke University and is pursuing a Bachelor of Arts.

Cite this Article A tool to create a citation to reference this article Cite this Article