How to Get an SR-22 Form

Related Articles

An SR-22 bond is a state-mandated certificate that individuals who are required to carry liability insurance must obtain, including individuals with a DUI on their driving record. The name is deceiving, as an SR-22 bond is not itself insurance, rather proof that you are covered by liability insurance. In order to get an SR-22 bond, you must file paperwork. However, if you are required to obtain an SR-22 bond, the states usually won't notify you with instructions on how to get the form because SR-22 bonds are provided by independent insurance companies, not the state.

Contact insurance companies that provide SR-22 bonds in your state. Some national companies, such as Progressive and The General, provide SR-22 bonds. Locally based insurance companies often provide SR-22 bonds as well. Search for local companies online.

Ask for quotes and compare the pricing. Not all insurance companies charge the same amount for SR-22 bonds, so shop around. Select the insurance company with the cheapest price.

Fill out the necessary forms. The insurance company provides you with all necessary paperwork. If the insurance company is local, make an appointment and visit a representative in person. Take all necessary documents with you, which includes your Social Security card and proof that your license suspension has expired. If the insurance company is not within driving distance, ask to have the forms mailed to you. Mail the forms back to the insurance company, being sure to include copies of the necessary documents.

Accept the SR-22 bond certificate. If the insurance company is local, accept it in person. If the insurance company isn't within driving distance, ask that they mail it to you.

Take the SR-22 bond certificate to the Department of Motor Vehicles. Provide the staff with your SR-22 bond certificate, Social Security card and proof from the court that your driver's license and driving privileges are reinstated. If your license was physically taken away by the court, get a new license at this time.



About the Author

Rob Kemmett began writing professionally in 2010 and specializes in writing about food and hospitality. Kemmett has worked in various fine-dining restaurants throughout his career and holds an Associate of Applied Science in Le Cordon Bleu culinary arts from the Cooking and Hospitality Institute of Chicago.