Who Is Authorized to Marry Couples in Arizona?

By Jane Meggitt
An ordained minister or judge can perform a marriage ceremony in Arizona.

m-imagephotography/iStock/Getty Images

If you're planning an Arizona wedding, you can choose among various authorities to conduct your ceremony. After you purchase your marriage license, you'll have a year to arrange a wedding, or you can say your vows right away. You'll need two witnesses to the ceremony, and the signed license must be returned to the clerk's office of the Superior Court in which you obtained the license for official recording.

Religious Authorities

If you want a religious ceremony, a licensed or ordained clergyman can perform the ceremony. You must comply with any requirements that particular religion or denomination demands for a wedding.

Secular Authorities

Arizona law permits judges of municipal courts and courts of record to perform marriage ceremonies. The same holds true of tax and bankruptcy court judges, appellate judges, district court judges and courts created by acts of the United States Congress. A visiting -- or resident -- U.S. Supreme Court judge can tie the knot for Arizona couples, as can U.S. magistrate judges or those sitting on the Arizona court of military appeals. The local justice of the peace can also marry a bride and groom.

About the Author

Jane Meggitt has been a writer for more than 20 years. In addition to reporting for a major newspaper chain, she has been published in "Horse News," "Suburban Classic," "Hoof Beats," "Equine Journal" and other publications. She has a Bachelor of Arts in English from New York University and an Associate of Arts from the American Academy of Dramatics Arts, New York City.

Cite this Article A tool to create a citation to reference this article Cite this Article